Sunday, March 14, 2010

I have a question about a released Tax Lien on my credit?

Last year the IRS filed a $1,0000.00 tax lien against me and reported it on my credit. I finally got them paid off a few months ago and they have released the lien. On my credit, it now shows as a relased tax lien.





I have heard that sometimes, if you dispute some negative information on your credit report, a lot of times the reporting agency/company does not respond and it gets removed from your credit bureau file.





My question is: What would happen if I disputed the tax lien on my credit report. Considering the IRS has been paid and they have released the lien, what would they do?





Is there any hope of success in having it removed from my credit files, also would I be breaking any laws?





Please help!





One other thing, this released tax lien is the only negative mark on my credit.

I have a question about a released Tax Lien on my credit?
I had a similar problem except in my case a tax lien was filed against me which I was able to prove was not legitimate. I never paid it because it was an error on the part of the IRS. However, none of the credit bureaus would remove it because they said it had to remain as part of my record for 10 years! The best they would offer is to report it as "paid." ...and I gotta tell you, I'd rather deal with the IRS than a da*n credit bureau! Good luck, but unless things have changed since 1986, if will be part of your record for 10 years from the date it was paid. You might try disputing it and hope they don't respond - even then you're gonna need that "luck" I mentioned.
Reply:Unfortunately, it is an accurate mark on your credit report. You can dispute it with the credit reporting agencies without fear of legal repercussion. If the IRS does not respond in a timely manner, the credit reporting agencies will remove it. Be aware though, that once the IRS does get around to responding to the reporting agencies, it will go right back on your credit report. The only accurate way to report it would be as a "paid tax lien."





Not what you were looking to hear, I know...but you're stuck with this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 


tax credit © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting